How We Replace Asphalt Shingle Roofing – Minneapolis St. Paul, MN
For most Twin Cities homeowners, having a roof replaced is a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Because of that, most people don’t completely understand the process. At Incline Exteriors, we believe that the more information our customers have about their roof and roof replacement, the better they’ll be able to understand the decisions they’ll be making when we discuss replacing their roof with them. Since a large majority of homes have asphalt shingle roofs, we replace more roofs of this type than any other.
Every home is unique, so some of the processes described below may vary in some ways to suit your own home, but roofing with asphalt composition shingles in the Minneapolis St. Paul metro area is done in much the same way for every home. We’re proud of our work, and you’re welcome to observe the process from a safe distance. Here are the basic steps:
- Planning for Replacing Your Roof – Before any roof replacing job begins, there are lots of decisions to be made. During a free, no-obligation price estimate in your home, our high-quality roofing company will inspect and measure your current roof, determine what type of base is under your existing roof, and discuss the type, grade, and color of asphalt shingles for you home with you. We’ll also discuss flashings, attic ventilation, and other issues that might affect your job. After all decisions are made, and you’ve agreed to our estimate, we’ll schedule your roof replacement job.
- How Long Does Replacing a Shingle Roof Take? – Most homeowners are surprised to learn how quickly our Minnesota roofing company can complete an installation project. The time required varies, of course, depending on the size and complexity of your roof, but almost all roofing projects will be completed in just a few days. Simple roofs are often finished in just two days, while complex roofs or roofs needing extensive decking work can take several days.
- Removal of Old Roofing Materials – Building codes in the entire Twin Cities metro area require removal of all previous roofing shingles and other materials before a new roof is installed. So, the first step in replacing a roof is careful and complete removal of all old shingles and underlayments on your existing roof. All materials will be placed in a dumpster or truck and removed for recycling. Our fastidious roofers will make sure they clean up the area thoroughly.
- Inspection, Repair & Replacement of Roof Decking – With the old shingle roofing removed, we carefully inspect the decking on your roof. Depending on the age of your home, this decking may be individual boards, plywood, or OSB roof decking. In a few cases, decking may not cover the entire roof. We will make any needed repairs to the existing decking. Your new roof will have maximum durability when installed on a solid, sound deck. If new decking is required, we’ll discuss that with you, giving you an accurate estimate of the cost before proceeding. We’ll also inspect existing flashing and other features of your roof at this stage.
- Installation of Underlayment & Accessories – The underlayment for your roof is an essential element, and is important for the durability and quality of your finished roof. In the Minneapolis St. Paul metro area, special waterproof underlayment designed to protect your roof from roof dams will be installed at the eaves. The rest of the roof is covered with high-quality asphalt-impregnated roofing felt. The result is a continuous, water-shedding layer under your new roofing materials. In addition, if new roofing ventilation equipment is needed, it will be installed, along with drip edge materials, valley materials, and new flashings, where needed.
- Installation of New Asphalt Shingles – Starting at the roof’s eaves, a starter row of shingles, without tabs, is installed. Then, working in one of a variety of staggered patterns, the durable asphalt composition shingles of your choice are carefully and accurately installed, using compressed air-powered equipment to nail the shingles to the decking. Around roof penetrations, vents, skylights, valleys, and other roof features, shingles are carefully trimmed and properly installed to prevent leaks. Our skilled, experienced roofers work efficiently and carefully to make your new roof look great and perform flawlessly.
- Finishing the Roof & Cleaning the Area – Roof peaks and hips are carefully finished with care, any remaining ventilation accessories are installed, and every part of the roof is carefully inspected to make sure every detail has been properly completed. Then, all debris, including stray nails, is carefully cleaned up, our equipment is packed away, and your new durable asphalt shingle roof is complete. We’ll invite you to inspect our work, and assure you that we’ll be available to take care of any rare issues that might turn up later. At our Minnesota premier roofing company, we stand solidly behind every roofing job we do.
Minnesota Most Reliable Roofing Contractor in Minneapolis St. Paul
The quality, appearance and durability of your new asphalt composition shingle roof depend entirely on how it is installed and on proper preparation for the new roof. At Incline Exteriors, unlike some roofing companies, excellence of workmanship is our highest priority. Our roofing craftsmen have the experience, training, and dedication that assure you that no corners will be cut or shortcuts taken when installing your roof. We take pride in every roofing job we do, because we know that our customers expect and demand top-quality performance from us. If you think you may need a new roof, call us for a free, no-obligation evaluation and competitive price estimate. We’d love to serve you.