Replacing a Cedar Shake or Shingle Roof – Minneapolis St. Paul, MN
While cedar shake and shingle roofs last a long time, they’re not indestructible, and eventually need replacing. As a leading Minnesota roofing company, we install shake and shingle roofs of top-quality Western Red Cedar. As members of the Cedar Shake & Shingle Bureau, we adhere to the high standards of that organization in every installation, and understand the unique needs that Minnesota’s harsh winter weather and thunderstorms impose on every shake and shingle roof. We recommend only top grades of Western Red Cedar shakes and shingles, and our highly skilled and experienced shake and shingle roofing installers dedicate themselves to impeccably installed roofs for every home.
Cedar shake or shingle roofing practices vary, but must take the special requirements of this natural roofing material into consideration. Installing cedar shakes and shingles for homes in the Minneapolis St. Paul area must also allow for heavy wind-driven snow and rain, and high winds that often occur in our area. Creating a sound, long-lasting shake or shingle roof requires special skills and creative solutions, depending on the features of each roof. Cedar shake and shingle roof craftsmen are as much artists as they are roofers, and our Twin Cities roofing company is proud of each roofer who works with us. While details vary, the process of building a replacement roof with cedar shakes and shingles typically involves:
- Planning for a Replacement Cedar Shake or Shingle Roof – When we visit your home to plan a roof replacement, we’ll discuss all aspects of your roof with you, inspect your existing roof, and help you choose the right shingles and other roofing materials to match your home’s unique needs and your own ideas. In Minnesota, successful shingle and shake roofs normally require solid decking, so if your home currently has spaced sheathing under the existing roof, we’ll probably recommend installing solid plywood decking for your new roof. This protects you from wind-driven snow and rain, and may be required by your current local building codes. Once all details are decided and you’ve accepted our competitive price estimate, we can schedule your roof replacement.
- How Long Cedar Shake or Shingle Roofing Takes – Depending on the size of your roof and the details of its design, we’ll be able to give you an accurate estimate of how long it will take for us to install your new cedar shake roof. Given the exacting nature of installing cedar shakes and shingles, replacing a roof with these materials takes longer than with asphalt composition or laminated architectural shingles. Still, our efficient, skilled and hard-working roofers will complete the job more quickly than you might expect. We’ll work with your schedule to minimize any disruption.
- Removal of Your Old Roof – As with all roof replacement jobs in the Twin Cities metro area, we’ll need to completely remove all old cedar shakes, shingles and other materials before we begin. We do this job carefully and completely, placing all debris in a dumpster or truck and removing it from your property completely. We take special care not do damage anything on your property.
- Preparation for Your New Shake or Shingle Roof – Once the old materials are removed, we carefully inspect your roof sheathing and decking. If new, solid plywood decking will be installed, we’ll apply it carefully for maximum strength and complete coverage. A waterproof underlayment will be applied to the eaves and edges of your roof to protect against winter weather, along with drip edges, where required. Valley treatments and flashings get special attention and replacement, when needed.
- Installation of Cedar Shakes or Shingles – After installing a starter course of special shingles, laying the roof begins. High-quality roofing felt is installed between each course of shingles to act as a baffle. Special care must be used with this step for best results. Each shake shingle is nailed down with two carefully placed nails. Trimming and splitting of shingles to establish the correct spacing is also part of the job. Other installation details depend on the design of the roof, and extra care during installation is required for valleys, roof junctions, chimneys and roof penetrations, where meticulous installation around flashing is needed. The experienced roofers at our Twin Cities roofing company have the resourceful creativity to handle every difficult installation situation, and take all the time needed to do the job properly.
- Finishing the Installation of Your Shake or Shingle Roof – Ridges and hips on your roof are meticulously finished, either with pre-fabricated ridge caps or with ridge caps created by our roofers. This step is crucial to create a weather-tight roof, and requires expert craftsmanship. With the final touches complete, our crews clean up all debris, removing stray nails with powerful magnetic tools, and completely clean up the worksite. We’ll invite you to inspect the finished job, pointing out details, and assure you that you can call us if any problems appear. We’ll respond immediately to deal with any issues.
Top-Quality Cedar Shake & Shingle Roof Contractor – Minneapolis St. Paul, MN
Before contracting with any roofing company in the Minneapolis and St. Paul metro for a new or replacement cedar shake or shingle roof, make sure that the company has extensive experience with this type of roof. At Incline Exteriors, shake and shingle roofs are a specialty for us, and we have roofing craftsmen who have long experience with this demanding roofing material. We understand completely that each shake or shingle roof is a unique job, and that only meticulous attention to detail and craftsmanship can produce a high quality roofing job for your home. Call us to discuss your shake and shingle roofing needs, and let us demonstrate the quality of our work and our emphasis on top-quality performance.